A Soroptimist is a leader in her community. She believes that by joining with other women and engaging in awareness, advocacy, and action in the service of her community and society, she can make the word a better place for humankind.
Many noteworthy women have been Soroptimist members, including a U.S. Supreme Court Justice; the first woman to serve as the mayor of a large city in the United States; and in 1962 recipient of the U.S. President’s Award for Distinguished Civilian Service.
The first Soroptimist Club was founded in 1921 by a group of 80 women in Alameda County, California. Soroptimist International of the Americas is part of Soroptimist International, which now has almost 100,000 members in over 3,000 clubs in 119 countries around the world.
The organization, a recognized authority on matters that women value most, uses its international voice and official status with the United Nations to advocate on behalf of women’s issues.
Soroptimists focus on a set of common goals:
• To maintain high ethical standards in business and professional life
• To strive for Human Rights for all people and, in particular, to advance the status of women
• To develop a spirit of friendship and unity among Soroptimists of all countries
• To contribute to international understanding and universal friendship
• To quicken the spirit of service and human understanding
• To develop interest in community, national and international affairs
Soroptimist membership provides an enriching environment for women to develop friendships and to support each other. These women, who represent leaders across all professional disciplines, also serve as role models for younger women.
Benefits of Membership
If you are an accomplished business or professional woman who wishes to provide volunteer service in an atmosphere of support, friendship and fun, then joining Soroptimist may be right for you. Soroptimist membership provides a variety of benefits, including:
- Fulfillment – Working on projects that improve the lives of others leads to personal satisfaction and recognition from the community.
- Friendship – Cultivating relationships with other women who have similar interests and values is a central aspect of Soroptimist membership.
- Diversity – Meeting and learning about women from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and participating in projects that address the needs of women throughout the globe, contributes to world peace and understanding.
- Networking – Associating with other women representing a variety of professions facilitates valuable business contacts. Leadership – Developing skills at the club level results in enhanced professional capabilities as well as leadership opportunities at all levels of the organization.
- Mentoring – Reaching out to women at the beginning of their professional lives provides an avenue for Soroptimist members to serve as mentors.
- Convenience – Belonging to an association with organized programs and professionally developed resources frees members from administrative constraints, while enabling them to concentrate on providing volunteer service.
- Services – Joining Soroptimist provides access to additional benefits, such as: several insurance options (U.S. only); discounted gift services; low-interest credit card (U.S. only); and a subscription to Soroptimist’s award-winning magazine. To maintain high ethical standards in business and professional life.
For more information contact membership, or write to:
Soroptimist International of Sequim
PO Box 126
Sequim, WA 98382